Jim's been on the road a lot this week - more days in Oklahoma, he says, than in Iowa this month. I get asked a lot about how I cope with him being gone so much. I do miss him, mostly his goofiness for a good laugh every day, but there's plenty around here to keep me busy! Yet, as independent and self sufficient as I think I am, there's just some things I have to leave for the weekend when he's home...the ever infamous: HONEY-DO LIST! :)
Last weekend we scurried around finishing Nick's WELCOME HOME banner. It was fun! The whole family is super excited to have him coming home!!! It won't be long now and he'll be in the arms of his super talented, "holding the fort down" wife, Kim, and his "growing up way too fast" kiddos, McKenzie, Trevor, Addison and now Tyler! Jim's folks left for Hawaii yesterday, so they'll be there to greet Nick and spend some quality time with him and the kids. I so wish we could've gone too.
While we didn't have much rain the last two weeks, I'd forgotten that grass doesn't grow during a drought, but the WEEDS do! Thank goodness for the Nowysz Boys, Daniel and Alex! They've been superb help again this summer helping me keep up with all the mowing. After they leave the whole place looks like a park that's been groomed by professionals! They've also been helping me pull weeds from around our new little trees. And then Jim and I re-mulched to keep them protected from the increasing heat and lack of rain we've experiencing. We've lost a few more little trees, no one really knows why, but all in all, most are doing pretty well, don't ya think?!
After a hard day of landscaping labor we headed into town to have dinner with our old (ok, not "old", "previous") neighbors from Windsor Heights, Randy and Gloria. We had a fabulous dinner at Nick's Grill in West Des Moines. And of course the conversation with Randy and Gloria is always a barrel of laughs. We had a great time - promising not to let so much time elapse in between visits!

But the rains finally came - some bad storms over the state missed us thank goodness... we just got a lot of hard wind and rain. -Just had to readjust a few things like the doghouse outback and find our grill cover!
Jim had a fire call after we did chores this morning - power line down on Panther Creek Road. As he drove out the driveway - the power went out. So I took a few minutes to enjoy a hot cup of tea (gas stoves come in SO handy on just such an occasion!) and a good book while it rained and then headed out to ride the horses. When Jim finally got back he said he was headed to the airport for a flying lesson. - the weather was starting to clear. He's working on getting his instrument rating certification. So off he goes, to enjoy some time in the air. Ya gotta have SOME fun on the weekends!!!
We sure hope you're enjoying your Sunday! Take some time to "sit a spell" with a warm cup of tea or coffee and take it all in!
No comments:
Post a Comment