Wednesday, November 18, 2009

TNR's Wild Kingdom: Buck Convention


By this time of year my camera is usually chuck full of shots of Bucks. But not this year. Rut season seems to be late. Not until just recently have I seen one here or there. But tonight they literally were coming out of the woodwork! Apparently having some sort of meeting in our back woods, at about 4:00 they all converged in our hayfield to check out the ladies!

As I took the horses back out after the vet's fall visit for shots and teeth floating, I stopped dead in my tracks as one big old boy was racing right toward us from our back pasture, but didn't see me. (and YES, I was saying a few choice words under my breath for not having my camera...AGAIN!)

I ran back inside and grabbed my new camera (the one that exploded on my birthday was covered under warranty and they sent me a new one! YEA!). Unfortunately, the settings aren't back to where mine were, so these pics are a bit blurry. But the video is pretty good... these are for you Michael!
I counted at least five different bucks tonight. The one above has what Jim calls a "top hat". Their antlers are all polished white - from scraping on all our trees! See the plastic tubing we have on the trees along the lane? One of these buggers managed to scrape it right off and shave a little bark right off our young trees! We actually got off easy. Our neighbors, the Martins, had a small apple tree shredded to pieces - completely cut off almost to the ground.

I couldn't take pictures fast enough as they sniffed the ground and raced around chasing does. Our poor resident injured doe, Mia, was not in the mood to be swooned tonight. I saw two different bucks follow her around, before she gave them the snub off and went back to eating my pumpkins!

So enjoy the view... might not see this many of the big boys again all in one place for awhile!

This guy was walking on the driveway right in front of the house. He's also the one in the video I shot below. He's following Mia.



1 comment:

Grant said...

Your camera EXPLODED? How did I not hear about this?