
We're pretty lucky to see a lot of wildlife out here. While I was at the computer one morning, I happened to catch a big bird land in the trees just outside the office window. A closer look revealed it was a hawk that I'd seen hanging around off and on all winter. This time, however, I had a camera handy and snapped a few pics, knowing he wouldn't hang around for long. I only wish I could get my zoom to focus in better!

Within a few minutes, I was surprised to see him swoop down at one of the unsuspecting squirrels looking for the nuts he'd buried last fall! But the squirrel (upper left of pic) quickly ran up a tree.

I'm think the hawk was just playing... he could've gotten the squirrel if he'd wanted to!

What I didn't notice until a day or so later, was the red band on his right leg! I called the DNR to see what they could tell me. They found it very interesting, but said without being able to actual read the numbers (finding a dead bird usually), they really couldn't tell me much. I'd like to think he might be the bird they rehabilitated and released while we visited the Keuhn Conservation area last fall. It's just about five miles from here.
No comments:
Post a Comment