Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cooling Aid For Nick's Unit


Hey everyone... I heard from Nick today via email today!! That doesn't happen very often so I wanted to pass on his thanks for the magazines and newspapers, emails and care-packages. He mentioned again how dreadfully HOT, HOT, HOT, it is and how there just seems to be no way to get any relief. I'd asked his wife, Kim, about what we could send... if they had freezers for bandanna coolers I'd seen, but alas, no freezer. But she did say that she saw something on the news about something similar that only required water... and we found it!



The Hugs Project, started May, 2004 in Oklahoma by Ray and Karen Stark, is a non profit 501 C 3 organization. I made a call to Karen, the founder of the organization, this morning. I know first hand how difficult raising funds for a non-profit is, so I wanted to find out more about how I could help them do what they are doing for the troops.

They send all kinds of things to the troops. The coolers are called "HUGS" and they are a "tie" filled with cooling crystals. They affectionately call them "hugs" because they go around the neck and all our troops deserve a hug! They can reduce body temp by 5+ degrees. Hugs can save our men and women from heat stroke deaths. This is from the organization's website:


FOR THE TROOPS
Someone recently expressed surprise that the post office or the military isn't delivering these care packages to the troops for free. They didn't realize that every box The Hugs Project sends costs us between $11 and $40 for postage. But, that's the way it is...we get no help on shipping from the military and the post office wants to be paid. We are a grassroots organization and only exist because of the generous donations of patriotic people like you. Your donations are tax deductible. Thanks to Crossroad's Mall in Oklahoma City, we pay NO rent or utilities; also, we take NO salaries....All money donated goes directly toward materials, supplies, and care package items. A donation of just $50.00 will pay for 1 care package full of "hugs", "kisses" and other wonderful items (but any amount will help!). If you like, your name and address will be listed on the customs form and the return address label so that the troop will know who to thank. We also accept donations and they are tax deductible. Thanks to Crossroad's Mall in Oklahoma City, we pay NO rent; also, we take NO salaries....All money donated goes directly toward materials, supplies, and care package items and postage to send them
.


Karen explained to me that they really need donations to continue to send out packages. They usually send out 30-40 packages a week, but since the recession the donations have gone down and so have the number of packages - to 10-15 a week. Which is too bad, because we just sent even more troops to the super hot desert of Afghanistan!!

I asked if she could send ties to Nick's unit. I had no idea there were 200 "Uglies" in his unit until I talked to Kim this morning. Karen graciously said she would get them out in the mail to him today!!! Isn't that great! When I asked her how much it would cost for that many to be made and sent, she said it is all on a donation basis, but that $1 each to make and send is a good place to start. So Jim and I decided we would donate $100 for now and ask our generous friends to contribute what they can, in hopes that even more gets donated. This way we can "pay it forward" for another deserving troop!

So, here I am asking once again for your help... not only for my awesome brother-in-law and his unit, but for all the troops who are doing so much for our freedoms back here in the good ol' USA. I know a lot of you asked me what you could do - this is a great way to do it. And would you be so kind to pass along this message to others, so they may donate as well?

Karen said that checks are the best way, as PayPal takes a percentage (33%) out of on-line donations and they'd like as much money as they can get to go directly to the troops! (I know this is true, because we use it for our payments for our feeders) Here is an address for check donations:

The Hugs Project
PO Box 6761
Edmond, OK 73083-6761

But if you'd rather not take the time to write a check and mail it, then by all means use PayPal - something is better than nothing and if you're like me you might get so busy you'll forget to do it!!!

The link is on their home page, about halfway down: http://www.thehugsproject.com/
OK, then, we all thank you in advance for your help!!!
You want to know what's even more ironic??? I've been signing off my daily emails to Nick with:
"HUGS" :)

1 comment:

~Kimberly said...

Have I told you lately that I love you!?!?