Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spring has Sprung

Ahhhh, Spring! After a long cold and gray winter, signs of Spring have been popping up all over!

Lots of beautiful flowers in the garden...

Bleeding Hearts... Columbines...


Tulips with raindrops... Mini Hyacinth.


There are goslings across the road in our neighbor's pond. They're probably two weeks old already. With four pairs of geese and all having at least 5 goslings... things are going to get mighty noisy around here later on! Here's a quick video of the little guys.. I put on it on YouTube so I wouldn't jam up everyone's email :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLlVgKzo6Y

There's been lots of activity in the bird world around here. We've seen a couple of our Hummingbird friends return this week, but this time of year they're pretty shy, so I can't get a good picture. By June they should be here by the dozens, all fighting over the feeder, so they're less concerned with a human standing around with a camera!

We also have new residents setting up house in the crab apple tree just outside our office window. Every year at least one set of birds tries to build a nest in those trees...one year robins, the next were cardinals... but Echo, our killer cat, sits and watches them from the ground and always manages to scare them off.

This year it's a pair of blue jays... and they don't appear to be easily deterred, as I caught the cat in the opposite tree the other day! She was reaching a paw at the annoyed and squawking birds. And just as I snapped the picture, she turned her head to watch as one of the birds flew past her. She then decided that maybe this wasn't as much fun as she thought, and promptly climbed down.

The blue jays were carrying on something fierce! Jim said the MRS. must've been saying, "See, Henry, I told you this was a bad neighborhood! Why do you think that empty nest on the lower branch is EMPTY anyway?!!"


But today, they are still busy building away... so we'll see! Pretty nice nest after only three days!

No comments: