
We're lucky to have a dedicated conservation group in Dallas County. A park just a few miles from our home, called Kuehn Conservation Area, was home to many Native Americans before Iowa became a state (1846).

For the past 11 years, our county hosts a reunion of several Indian Tribes in the park and call it the Prairie Awakening, honoring their ancestors. The public is welcome to watch and to participate.

This was the first year I had gone, but had always wondered what the beating dreams I'd heard in years past were all about... now I know and it was quite impressive. There was the Eagle Dance done before they released a Redtailed Hawk that they had rescued and rehabilitated. And there was a procession in honor of a fellow tribesman that was killed in the war.

There was a ceremony for a fellow tribesman that was killed in the war. And this was the group of gals, Angie and Kay, and Angie's wonderful boys, that attended the evening ceremonies. Jim made it to the bonfire ceremony, which was HUGE!
No comments:
Post a Comment